Govt. College, Hisar was established in 1950 in Hisar district with a motive of providing higher education to students of the surrounding area. It is affiliated to Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra. In 1976, this college was transferred in the present campus which contains hostel facility for girl students, a big library and Science Laboratories with all kind of modern facilities. The campus is divided into five blocks-Administrative Block, Arts Block, Science Block, Commerce Block and Library.
This college is the one of the best colleges in Haryana in the field of Academics, Extra co-curricular activities, sports and discipline. Many students of this college have been selected in various Technical and Administrative Services. Students are keen to get admitted in this prestigious college. There were 3395 students & 125 Faculty members during the session 2007-08. The Teacher student ratio was 1:27.